Dental Implants in San Antonio, TX
At Alamo Maxillofacial Surgical Associates, P.A., we are here to help you through the entire process of replacing one or more of your teeth. If you have been considering getting dental implants, now is your time!
All about Dental Implants
Implants are permanent replacement teeth. They have three different parts:
- A small titanium post is put into your jawbone where the root of the missing tooth would be. The bone forms around the post, making it a permanent structure in your mouth. It acts as a new root for a tooth.
- Another small post is attached to the titanium post. This second post extends out of the gum.
- The artificial tooth is anchored to the second post. The artificial tooth is shaped and colored to replicate your missing tooth.
Process Followed by Our Implant Dentist
Dental implants are a surgical process that requires several months to complete, including two surgical phases and a waiting period. Some facts about the process from our implant dentist include the following:
- First surgical procedure: The titanium post is surgically inserted into the jaw bone.
- Waiting period: This usually lasts between three and six months while the bone grows around the titanium post. The artificial tooth is also being created. During this time you have the option of wearing a temporary tooth.
- Second surgical procedure: A small post is attached to the titanium, and the artificial tooth is attached to the post. Once the artificial tooth is in place, you will never see the second post.
Caring for a New Artificial Tooth
Once the artificial tooth is in place, normal dental hygiene, including brushing twice daily and flossing, is all that is required to care for it.